Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ruffle scarves, photos and free patterns!

I've been loving making these scarves! They're so quick, very satisfying to make, and make lovely gifts.  I started off with a free pattern I found online, then decided to experiment on the same theme. I've come up with three different ideas and would like to share them with you.  I've included a link to the original pattern in my instructions, because the actual ruffle element is not mine - I've just adapted it!  I hope you find my patterns useful!


My three crochet ruffle scarves.









This one was worked in Sirdar Denim Chunky - a very soft yarn.












I used Robin Aran in cream for this one.












This one was crocheted in Courtelle Chevy with Wool DK in shade 4362.







Experimenting with Ruffles


Using the same basic principle of the ruffle scarf    (http://www.caron.com/projects/bliss/B5_ruffle_scarf.html)   I’ve been trying out a few variations. Here are the instructions for anyone who would like to try them.  I hope they make sense – if not, please ask!

IMPORTANT:   With all ruffle scarves, working the foundation chain loosely makes the first row easy!

Cream Scarf

This was worked in Robin Aran weight wool (but any chunky yarn would do) with a No 6 (UK) hook, and was so so simple to make.

Ch to length required for completed scarf.

1st (and only!) row: SC into 7th chain from hook, ch 7, SC into same stitch, *ch 7, SC into next st, ch 7 SC into same st* to end. Fasten off and weave in the ends.


 Denim Scarf

This was worked in Sirdar Denim Chunky with a No 6 (UK) hook

Ch to length required for completed scarf.

1st Row:  SC into 7th chain from hook, ch 7, SC into same stitch, *ch 7, SC into next st, ch 7, SC into same st* to end.

2nd Row:  same as 1st row but worked into the other side of the foundation row. Fasten off and weave in the ends.

The second row could be worked in a contrasting colour – something I’ll try next, now I’ve thought about it!


Dark Blue Scarf worked in Drop Stitch

This was worked in DK yarn (Courtelle Chevy DK with Wool from my stash. I’ve had it for years, so have no idea if it’s still available!).

Drop Stitch instructions:  Into each stitch, YO, insert into st, YO again but this time  pull up to about an inch, pull yarn through all 3 loops on hook, then ch 1 to ‘lock’ the stitch into place.



Ch to length required for completed scarf.

1st Row:  Work 1 drop stitch into fourth chain from hook, then 1 into each chain to end. Turn.

2nd Row:  Ch 4, work 2 drop stitches into each space made by the ‘locking’ chain of the previous row. Turn.

3rd Row:  Ch 4, work 2 drop stitches into each space between every drop stitch of the previous row.

Fasten off and weave in the ends or, if a wide scarf is required, repeat 3rd row.


 








1 comment:

  1. Kathy they really do look lovely I am sure your friends and family will be delighted to receive them. As will many other lucky people --- What have you started !!!! Love Linda

    ReplyDelete